Doing this after boot camp:)
Don’t let weight loss run your life. Yes eat healthy. Yes workout. Don’t miss a chance at spending time with friends or having a relationship because you need to workout or you worry about eating out. It’s hard not to obsess sometimes but not obsessing can get you amazing things and to amazing places.
Protein! Why it’s important:
- Helps with weight loss - Protein helps you stay fuller for longer.
- Amino acid source - Your body can’t produce some essential amino acids, so you need to get them through your diet (via protein!)
- Tofu - Low in calories and fat. High in protein.
- Beans - Quinoa (“keen-wah”) and edamame higher in protein than say, kidney beans (more on beans and their protein content here). Beans are a great alternative to meat, especially because they’re so much lower in fat.
- Tempeh - If you don’t know what tempeh is, it’s basically soy in a cake-like form. It has a different flavor and texture from tofu. It’s high in calcium and protein.
- Almonds - almonds alone aren’t enough protein for your diet, but they’re great for snacks.Other Options:
- Beef - Grass-fed beef has more fatty acids and nutrients. It’s also healthier to eat than factory-raised beef. Stick with a lean beef.
- Pork Tenderloin - Much lower in fat than beef.
- Chicken - Organic chicken is extremely lean and has more essential fatty acids than factory raised chicken.
- Wild salmon - Eat only wild salmon. Farm-raised salmon can be diseased, contain high levels of toxins and mercury, and are not as rich in omega-3 fatty acids.
- Tuna fish
- Eggs - Although egg whites are leaner, whole eggs are great for you too! Eating whole eggs are as natural as eggs come and are high in nutrients.
- Non-fat Greek Yogurt - Stay away from the flavored ones/regular yogurt. They’re extremely high in sugar. Greek yogurt is really high protein and good fats. It also has much less sugar/carbohydrates. Eat them with pureed/mashed fruit instead of the fruit mix-ins that might come with it.
- Milk - Skim, soy, and almond milk are high in protein and low in fat. Milk can also be a great source of calcium.
All this information came from Mark’s Daily Apple. It’s a great site for info on fitness and eating clean.
Check out Eatmoreof for more tips on how to get healthy foods into your diet!
All rise…Cardio Court is now in session. The honorable Judge SFS presiding. Today’s case: Cardio vs. Lifting. In what order should these activities be performed?
The correct answer to this question depends entirely on what your personal goals are. Are you training for…
Fit Villains: Selfish, Shameless, Sassy, Fitness.: Can You Be TOO Healthy? Staying In Control Of What You Eat (And Not Letting It Control You) →
Eat clean & move more: sounds simple right?
Well, yes & no. Being healthy involves a variety of behaviors and choices, including some that may seem counter-intuitive. It’s important to try to give our bodies the best we can, but equally important that we stay mentally healthy while we do…
There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to change your body or feeling that you would be able to express yourself better by changing your body. Wanting to get a new tattoo or dye your hair or get your nails done or lose weight or build muscle, it’s your…
11 Foods to Avoid for a Flat Stomach
If you want to make sure you are burning stomach fat — make sure you are staying away from these 11 foods. Instead of making your waist smaller — these foods will only expand your waistline even further.
For most of us this one can be hard to avoid — but snacking on candy won’t help you get a flat stomach. They taste delicious and can give you a quick pick me up — but you will just as quickly crash and burn while you add more inches to your waist.
White flour is highly processed — which means lacking in nutritional value. This type of flour – also known as enriched wheat flour – has lost any nutritional value during processing and can actually cause more health problems if too readily consumed.
Yes soda is tasty and it quenches your thirst — however its full of sugar and dies that aren’t any good for you. Cutting out soda from your daily liquid intake can save you TONS of calories, making a flat stomach even MORE possible.
Oh who doesn’t love chips!? But the only reason chips are tasty is because they are covered in unhealthy oils and fats — not to mention WAY too much sugar than any one person needs to eat.
Adding cheese to a sandwich or a salad can make it taste THAT much better. However, adding that flavor to your meal is also adding fat to your diet. Cheese is full of fat that will help you gain weight instead of gain a flat stomach.
This one might be a no brainer — but it might not be — there are cookies out there that say they have low calories — however these cookies are still filled with lots of sugar (to make them taste good).
When trying to lose weight quickly its important to stay away from cuts of meat that are high in saturated fats. Avoid various cuts of meat such as beef, bologna, and pork that are high in fat and calories.
Drinking milk high in fat when trying to lose weight won’t help you lose any weight as it adds more fat to your diet as you are trying to lose fat.
Alcohol is full of empty calories. A 12 oz beer has 150 calories — calories that do nothing for you except send you to treadmill for a longer workout.
Yes, some forms of dark chocolate are good for your health (in moderation of course) however, if you are trying to lose stomach fat quickly chocolate should not be a part of your diet. Eating chocolate only adds additional calories and sugar that your body will turn into fat – requiring you to spend more time in the gym to burn it off.
When trying to lose weight its important to stay away from fried foods. Fried foods are full of saturated fats — some are made up of more than 50% fat! Avoiding fried foods – no matter how convenient they may be will help you reach your weight loss goals faster.
Here is a very vague overview of rep ranges:
- 1-5 reps = Strength
- 6-12 = Hypertrophy
- 12+ = Endurance
That is very superficial overview of rep ranges as there is a lot of crossover of adaptations between rep ranges. For example, many people grow lifting solely in the 1-5 rep range and 12+ rep range. But it gives you an idea of the weight you need to lift to grow; a weight that you can complete for at least 6 reps but not more than 12 reps. - Simply Shredded
“It may seem counterintuitive, but eating more fat can help you shed bodyfat. Researchers found that when subjects boosted their fat intake to about 50 percent of their daily calorie intake while reducing carbs to around 30 percent, they burned more fat during workouts than when on their normal diets. Apparently, eating fat makes your muscles more efficient at extracting oxygen from your bloodstream. More oxygen facilitates better conversion of fat to energy, and your muscles turn into fat-burning turbines. So if you go lower carb, increase your intake of good fats, like those in nuts, fish and avocados, you’ll get leaner faster. Incidentally, that finding may be why researchers in another study found that taking conjugated linoleic acid—a good fat—prior to workouts burns more fat and builds more muscle. Try about five grams.” - Becky Holman
Opt for NATURAL nut butters. The ingredients should just read “peanuts” or “almonds” and there should be oil sitting on the top.
if you have any sort of list like this, you’re probably losing weight for the wrong reasons and you need to change your priorities. weight loss should be for you.
1. who the hell is stopping you from wearing whatever? OH YEAH, YOU.
2. if you like someone and they don’t like you back, they’re probably just not into you. don’t blame it on your weight. if a guy doesn’t like you because of your weight, do you really want to be with a guy like that? shallow as hell? no thanks.
3. i doubt your friends consider you “the fat one” and if they do, they aren’t real friends. find some real ones.
4. newsflash if you’re a human being with skin, you’ll jiggle.
5. this always makes me face palm so hard. not everyone can achieve a thigh gap. you’re setting yourself up for failure. wide hips = thigh gap, but not always. it’s genetic too.
6. once again, you’re the only one stopping yourself from living. there’s no rules at the beaches saying “anyone over 100lbs may not sit on this sand, tan, swim, have fun~” life is for living.
7. body build, genetics, body build, genetics! not everyone can be a size 0. some people may only be able to be a size 6 and be healthy, others a size 12 is healthy for them, etc! and just because you are a size 0 doesn’t mean it’s healthy for you.
8. even victoria’s secret models have stomach rolls. it’s called being human.
9. …….goes along with the “so guys will like me.” stop blaming your weight for every problem in your life. just because you lost weight doesn’t mean he’ll want you back.
1.) CLOSED FOR BUSINESS: After your last meal, it’s time to close up shop. Do the dishes, put away left overs, and turn off the light. You’ll be less tempted to go back into the kitchen and graze if everything is cleaned up and put away. Out of sight, out of mind.
2.) BRUSH YOUR TEETH: After a meal/snack, brush your teeth. Don’t ruin your sparkly-clean teeth by eating again. And besides, nothing tastes good when your mouth is minty-fresh. Have you ever tried drinking orange juice after brushing your teeth?! The horror, the horror!
3.) STOP MINDLESS EATING: If you must have a snack, especially in the evening, portion out your snack and put the container, bag, or box away. When you eat in front of the television/computer, you won’t realize how much food you’re actually putting into your body. Tip: choose wisely and pick a healthy snack that will allow you to feel satisfied.
4.) MAKE BETTER DECISIONS: If you don’t feel satisfied after a meal, chances are, you didn’t consume enough calories and/or the best calories for your body. You’ll probably want to have an all out binge fest later on in the day, whether it’s healthy foods or not. Start your day the right way by making choices that will keep you full and focused. The 10 most filling foods.
5.) RETHINK YOUR SHOPPING LIST: If you purchase unhealthy snacks, they’re going to eventually end up somewhere and that place is your body. Don’t buy tempting, unhealthy snacks when you shop (TIP: go shopping when you’re full). If you don’t have any junk food on hand, then you won’t risk consuming empty calories. Stock up on good choices as a “just in case of an emergency” for when the munchie monster strikes.
6.) GET BUSY: Do something productive when you feel a snack attack coming on. A lot of people tend to snack when they are bored, lonely, or depressed. Find something to do! Call a friend, read a book, walk, clean, etc. It doesn’t matter what it is, as long as you don’t ultimately find yourself looking at the bottom of an empty ice cream carton.